Are you interested in machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI/ML)? Are you deeply curious about cloud computing? Are you a good writer that also dabbles in writing code? If so, you might be interested in a position as a Programmer Writer at Amazon Web Services (AWS).
As an AWS Programmer Writer, you will have the opportunity to work with a talented technical team to produce technical documentation and code examples in a cross-functional, distributed environment. Amazon.com is committed to being a leader in the web services marketplace, and one of the key measures of success is how well we support the developers who use AWS products. The documentation team plays a vital role in getting our customers up and running quickly and making sure that the details of our products are clearly described and easy to understand.
The ideal candidate has a technical aptitude that enables effective interaction with other Technical/Programmer Writers, Software Development Engineers, Product Managers, and Technical Program Managers. In addition, the ideal candidate has excellent communication skills and the ability to deliver high-quality technical publications.
· Drive documentation and examples planning with engineering teams
· Produce high-quality documentation and examples for a web service
· Independently follow designs and standards to develop and deliver conceptual, how-to, and API reference docs for AWS products
· Make suggestions for updating or improving our doc and examples standards
· Work as part of a team to produce for AWS products
· Conduct peer edits for grammar, style, voice, form, and functionality
· Define writing projects, end-to-end example notebook experiences, and determine priorities
· Work on an exploratory project, such as an interactive tutorial, a demo of a new way of applying a technology, or your own great idea
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder &, developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
· Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, a related field, or equivalent experience
· Experience using content publishing tools to write, format, manage, and publish high-quality content
· Experience with content strategy and design
· Proven ability to learn new technologies quickly
· Ability to write example code: Python, C++, R, or another programming language
· Experience working with XML, markdown, rst, and HTML
· Familiarity with using and following a style guide
· Experience with cloud computing/web services or related areas
· Knowledge of machine learning frameworks, such as XGBoost or SKLearn, and/or…
· Knowledge of deep learning frameworks, such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or MXNet
· Familiarity with Jupyter notebooks
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Experience blogging or creating websites
· Contributor to open source software
· Experience fixing customer tickets, GitHub pull requests and issues, or an equivalent workflow for incident management
· A proactive and open-minded attitude to resolving problems and delivering results
· Strong troubleshooting skills
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong attention to detail
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.