Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of enterprise, government, and start-up businesses and organization in over 190 countries around the world.
The AWS New Regions Strategy and Planning (NRSP) Finance team works together with AWS New Regions business team to lead all aspects of AWS expansions in new regions. Setting up AWS’s physical presence in a new geography is a complex strategic and financial decision – it depends on a number of technical and local factors, and involves large capital outlays (~billions of dollars), and hence needs thorough and careful financial consideration. You will be surrounded by people that are exceptionally talented, bright, and driven, and believe that world class support is critical to customer success. To build this rapidly growing business, you must be passionate about producing financial analysis enabling management to make breakthrough decisions, drive cash flow, and ultimately delight our customers. This team works hard, has a great deal of fun, and definitely makes history!
You will join the NRSP Finance team within AWS Infrastructure Finance. In this role you will independently own the financial elements of long-term networking supply strategies for multiple new regions that serve both commercial and public sector customers. You will work closely with a wide range of business leaders to develop and evaluate complex financial models and make recommendations. You will partner with stakeholders across the Network organization in Backbone, Metrofiber, IP Transit and Network Engineering to prepare financial projections, sensitivities, and highlight risks and opportunities for business reviews to Senior Management. Once a region is approved and is being built, you will assist in the oversight and controllership to ensure the launch executes within the financial plan. At launch, you will refresh financials to inform pricing of AWS services to the customers.
Strategizing, analyzing, and launching new regions is a complex process, and you will have the opportunity to provide thought leadership on how to drive continuous improvement to make assessment and decision-making faster and more efficient. You will bias towards automated solutions that reduce manual effort but also increase analytical capability. You will drive to improve the accuracy of financial forecasts, standardize and speed analytics, and ease access to the underlying data. The right individual will have strong communication skills and solid business acumen capable of driving results and improving processes cross-functionally. The successful candidate must be able to think and act both strategically and tactically.
· Partner with Infrastructure Planning, Services Finance, and Networking to define networking strategy, model costs, and manage NPVs for new regions
· Provide controllership and oversight of networking capital and operating expense from region conception to launch, including quarterly in-flight updates
· Deliver business reviews to senior management regarding region progress, opportunities, and roadblocks
· Perform discounted cash flow and P&,L financial modeling, often under tight deadlines and lead executive-level discussions
· Ensure internal stakeholders are aligned with finance inputs and recommendations
· Develop business and technology acumen in order to understand and account for technology transitions and business evolution in financial models
· Identify and lead projects to drive automation and process improvement
· BA/BS degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Engineering and/or similar discipline with analytical bias
· 5+ years of experience performing financial and ad hoc analysis using data reporting tool
· Minimum 5 years of finance experience, or master’s degree and 3 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· MBA and/or Professional certification (CPA/CMA/Qualified Accounting certificate) + relevant experience
· Required proficiency in Excel (macros, index, conditional list, arrays, pivots, lookups)
· Demonstrated financial acumen and/or analytical experience delivering financial models
· Demonstrated ability to work independently, partner cross-functionally, and be self-motivated in a fast-paced and rapidly changing technology environment
· Strong written and verbal communication skills with a customer-focused, professional demeanor
· A work ethic based on a strong desire to exceed expectations
· Strong excel modeling skills
· Proven success in managing multiple competing priorities simultaneously, prioritizing workload and driving projects to completion
· Experience optimizing finance processes for speed, agility, and insight
· Ability to dissent, while building trust with business partners
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.