The Team: Amazon is working on several initiatives in physical retail including Amazon Books and Whole Foods Market. This role will work to develop network infrastructure products that will support these initiatives.
The Role: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that’s more startup than big company. A wave of innovation is bringing sweeping changes to networking technology. Virtualization, unimaginable scale, hardware commoditization, and intelligent tooling are revolutionizing network software. We develop software at every level of the stack from front-end user interfaces to low-level embedded software and everything in between. We are taking all the industry trends such as Software Defined Networking and IoT and blending them to build a critical foundation for physical stores: the network.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will help solve a variety of technical challenges and mentor other engineers. Given that this is an early-stage initiative, you will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You will help invent new features, design, develop and deploy highly scalable and reliable distributed services. You will work with a variety of core languages and technologies including C, C++, Python, Linux Kernel, and Networking L2/L3 protocols. Networking platform and silicon expertise is a plus.
You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you’ll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that, frankly, haven’t been solved at scale before – anywhere. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a game-changing initiative. While you’ll be able to use existing Amazon systems when possible, you’ll be working on challenging problems that need creative solutions. You should be comfortable building prototypes, challenging assumptions, and thinking of creative ways to tackle challenges.
“Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual orientation.”
A day in the life
About the hiring group
A day in the life
About the hiring group
· BS in Computer Science or related technical field (In lieu of degree, 4 years of relevant work experience).
· 2+ years of rich, hands-on programming experience in Java, C++, or other object-oriented languages.
· 2+ years of experience with OO design and common design patterns.
· 6+ years of experience in networking design and architecture
· Experience in driving partner engagement in open source community
· Experience writing software on embedded device and/or performance optimizations
· Experience designing networking platforms and working with networking silicon is preferred.
· Experience with software build-system is a plus.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices &, best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing and operations
· Knowledge of major network protocols, topology design, hardware and device configuration.
· Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
· Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.